Saturday, June 14

kennedy meadows

i love this town! just a small town off the trail, with a general store that is the center of everything. well, the store is the town. hikers and locals all hanging out. potlucks. maybe an outdoor movie tonight. outdoor showers and a river not far away.

we survived the last of southern cal! well, i'm sure it will still be hot and dry from here (91 in the shade here now!), but at least we'll only need a few liters of water at one time, and usually only one. doesn't make all the food weight so bad. with food for almost 7 days, our packs will be heavy once again.

i am sooo excited to head into the mountains. we're leaving 2 days behind schedule (i'm planning on heading out the morning of the am), but will add another day before independence to climb mt. whitney. (the tallest in the lower 48! but it's really just a walk.) so...may be as much as 4 days behind schedule by the time we leave independence, but everyone we've talked to says not to rush the sierras because it's the best part of the whole trail. we'll see, as all of you north cascade snobs might be thinking, if the sierras really are better than washington.

the care and gear packages from our parents have been great! and got a letter from shoe, but now we want more letters from friends! where are you? i know we said not to send too much, and didn't provide many addresses, but we can handle a bit don't you think? treats and notes and homemade things (and i do like some sweet things...especially if they're not cliff bars!). but you know what would be even better? meeting us out here!! or in a town!!

so if you're ever trying to find us on the trail, here's the deal. call and let us know where you're planning on being. we'll let you know more about our timing when we get closer. and if you're waiting at a trail, ask other hikers if they've seen us (spiff and six toes). sometimes there's trail registers on either side of the road, and you can see who's been through. i know this probably won't matter until washington where most of you are, but it's kinda like a people scavenger hunt. fun, eh?

also, if anyone knows folks in ashland who would like to have us for a night or two, let us know. and thanks for the notes on the blog! i love reading comments from you all. and michael, i will certainly think of that song now as i hike thousands of feet into dramatic end-of-the-world mountains.

been slow on sending blog letters out, but will try to soon so you can have more detailed stories. it's just so tiring at the end of the day, that writing seems a bit daunting!

thinking about you all lots. i do, afterall, have all day to think about something other than putting one foot in front of the other.

2 comments:

Sar(a) said...

Crazy wonderful beloved Sye and Alex! I have been such a maniac finishing this quarter that I hadn't read your blog between shortly after you left and now, but what a journey you've been on! And now that I'm done with school I can officially start posting letters (hint, hint) and maybe even sending sweet and salty things! I will figure out how to do that, and Bridget and I have been attempting to make plans for her time on the mainland - maybe a visit? Much, much love from B'ham!

Sar(a) said...

Without even conferring with Bridget I looked into the mileage for coming to visit and realized that even if we were to go late in her time here and try and meet y'all around Old Station, that's still 700 miles one way. That's a lot of gasoline :(
I think that means that I will have to restrict my contact to more ephemeral forms such as this, but I would love to send you treats! And perhaps when you get closer I will know when I'm moving, etc. and will be able to come visit you. xoxoxoxo!