Tuesday, August 12

OREGON!

We did it folks. We hiked ALL off California. All 1,699 miles of it. Fires and bees and endless stretches without lakes could not stop us!

Actually, I should not be using "we." I made it. I have no idea if Spiff made it. He's back there somewhere on the trail with Shoe, and they were "taking their time."

Anyhow. OREGON!!!! I'm soooooo excited! I was convinced that I was going to break my leg or head or something right before the border and have to be helicoptered out and then I would never be able to say I'd hiked all of California. Of course I could still break something and leave the trail but at least I'll be able to say I hiked from some arbitrary political boundray to another arbitrary political boundray. YAY!

And let me tell ya, Oregon is lovely. On one side of the border there were bees chasing us and cows mucking up our water supplies, and brush obscuring the trail, and then we crossed over and there were no cows (okay, there were footprints) and no bees (perhaps because it was 7pm at night) and the trail was newly cleared. And there was NO SMOKE! It's sunny and clear and beautiful here and I love Oregon. Now I'm going to see how fast I can blast through it. I'm thinking 426 miles in 15 or 16 days. Washington here I come! Who's gonna meet me there, huh?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pterri!

Thanks for the webpost from Oregon, with news of you and Spiff.

Congratulations for making it to Oregon! Aren't we fortunate to have two such different yet both amazing states as our southern neighbors. As a native Oregonian, I feel the same way when crossing the state line.

We hope to see you soon up north.

The Spiffrents

Anonymous said...

STP- Congratulations!!! LOVE the new outfits... nothing but class! We are in Sisters Oregon and will be finishing our trip at Timberline on the 23rd. I guess we will have to come back out and hike Washington another time, maybe you will join us. Look for some goodies to come your way. Enjoy the lakes and don't ditch your bug protection - it's vicious up here.

Love,
Shake and Slo