Monday, May 19

Sye and Alex in Big Bear, CA

Got a call from Alex today! They are in Big Bear, CA a place that apparently is not as intimidating as it sounds. They are doing well. Alex is over her strep-like symptoms, although Sye’s knee is protesting a bit.

Taking the trip through their stories, I am amazed by the vastness of the land outside of California’s cities. Here they are walking through whole mountain ranges: the Santa Rosas, San Jacintos, San Bernadinos…a lot of saints. Alex liked particularly a 30-mile stretch in the San Jacintos that was supposed to be closed due to a recent fire. They went anyway, walking one 10-mile stretch along a ridge top that must have felt like dancing along the sky.

When I get into the mountains, even for a day, everything seems profound yet giddy and wonderful. I can only imagine what being on the trail for three weeks is like. I could hear Alex’s deep satisfaction with it all. Already they have walked about 10% of the PCT.

No comments: